St Swithun’s Community Centre stands on the site of the old St Swithun’s Church and is home to Eastmoor Community Project Ltd. The Eastmoor Community Project (ECP) was conceived following consultations with church members some 18 years ago. As a result of funding opportunities, a few years later, St Swithun’s Community Centre was built. The Eastmoor Community Project now operates and manages the Centre and is a company limited by guarantee and a registered charity. St Andrew’s Church does not run the centre, or control the project, but we do partner with the project, and provide one third of the board members.
The Church has free use of the premises for Sunday services and there is a dedicated Parish Office which provides a safe and secure environment for meeting with parishioners. At the moment, church worships at the Centre on the first Sunday of every month.
The Centre is a busy place through the week, with a large number of adult education classes, and social and other groups meet there regularly. Staff include a Centre Manager, Youth Development Worker, Community Development Worker and catering, admin and cleaning staff.
The Centre operates a community cafe and nursery, and weekly and other community groups include:
- Job Club
- Knit and Natter
- ERA – Eastmoor Resident Arts
- Grow and Cook
- Lunch Club
- Fit and Friendly – exercise group for over 60s
- Busy Bees – mums and tots
- Creative crafts
- Simply leisure – over 60’s group
- Food skills workshops for various groups e.g. adults with learning difficulties
- GEM – Get Eastmoor Moving – children’s holiday sessions
- Youth Project – after school club; football, art club, girls group, music session etc
For further information about the centre please see their website: www.eastmoorcommunity.co.uk